Saturday, October 31, 2015

Don't throw out those Pumpkin Seeds after carving - Toast your own seeds :)





Each year we go to the pumpkin patch (or grocery store), get our pumpkin of choice and then we carve fun characters on them. It's possible your like me and dread the pumpkin "gutting part". I don't know what it is about the slimy gooey texture of it all but honestly, I refused to touch the pumpkin guts tell I was well into my mid 20's. (I know, I'm silly).

One of the reasons I started participating in this part of the pumpkin carving? The seeds! My Husband loves pumpkin seeds. 

So for the last 7 years it's been a tradition for me to bake the seeds from our carved pumpkins as a tasty fall family treat!

Want to know how to do this too?

It's simple!


As you are hallowing out the pumpkins put the seeds in a strainer and the rest of the goo in a separate bowl. Once you've collected all the seeds, run the strainer through the water tell you get all the pumpkin pieces out of there. 

Pat them dry and pour them into a bowl.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Add about a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the seasoning of your choice (I'll post what I use below).

Then take parchment paper and line your baking pan. 

Pour the seeds out tell they are a single layer.

Pop in the oven and let them bake for about 45 minutes or until lightly toasted.

Wha-la! Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


Mmm they are so good too!

The seasoning I use (this is for 3 pumpkin's worth of seeds)

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Himalayan Salt
1 tsp Cumin
Pepper to taste

YUM!

Happy Harvest Friends and have a blessed day!


No comments:

Post a Comment