Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Healthy Eating Fixes: Movie Theater Edition


This weekend my son and I got to have a Mommy and me night out! We've been looking forward to seeing Inside Out for weeks and this weekend we made it happen. Being on day 6 of this round of 21 Day Fix I wanted to make sure I was prepared with healthy snacks so that I wasn't tempted by the deliciousness of Movie Theater Popcorn goodness or nacho cheese. Have you ever noticed how expensive theater food is?! It's ridiculous! So not only was helping my body by bringing clean foods, I was helping my wallet and saving money.


Snacks that we brought:
1. dried apple slices
2. baby carrots
3. Trail mix (raisins, cashews, almonds, coconut and dried cranberries.)
4. Lara Bar
5. Seaweed Crisps
6. Honest Juice Box (for my son)
7. La Croix Sparking Water (for me)

And you know what? We didn't even eat it all! We left the theater with happy hearts from quality time together, and happy bellies from the good fuel we ate!

I use to think that when it was time for Family outings, Birthday Dinners etc, that it was just "throw in the towel" day for eating. But it's really possible to still have fun with those you love, eat, healthy, and give your kids the tools they need to make better eating choices as well! Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to have a splurge meal every once in a while. I think saving those splurges for something you really want (your favorite sushi roll, tacos from your favorite restaurant, etc.) instead of just something random for the sake of "splurging". 

Want a few more ideas of things you can take with you to the Movies?


1. Pop your own Popcorn! I've seen some great recipes on pinterest for popping your own popcorn with just a little coconut oil and salt. Clean, simple and delicious! If you carry a Marry Poppins purse like me you can bring a big bag of it with you, or if you are normal (I kid) and carry a smaller bag, just put a few snack size zip log bags worth of it in there and you'll be good to go.
2. Rice Cakes
3. Fruit: Grapes and sliced apples are great easy portable snacks
4. Kale Chips
5.Sliced Cucumber: I like to slice up a cucumber and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on it. Makes for a nice little crunch snack.

I hope these ideas helped you! Just remember that each step we take making better food choices will bring closer to our goals. This isn't a diet, or a quick fix. This is a lifestyle change to help you and your family be healthy, happier, and able to serve others!


No comments:

Post a Comment