Monday, January 9, 2017

Our First Snow.

When we moved to our new homestead in the middle of April we started talking about our first snow. What would it be like? Will we get a lot of snow? These are questions of this born and raised sunny San Diego family, who moved up to the mountains where there are seasons. 


And when it was crazy hot this summer, we'd often bring up what we wondered winter would be like and the excitement of snow. 

A few days before Christmas weekend the weather report said we would be getting snow! What? A white Christmas? The kids had been praying for our first snow and I was getting my hopes high for it.  Poor Lily woke up super sick the day before Christmas Eve. High fever, horrible cough, bad aches and you could just tell our very busy high spirited toddler was not feeling well. It lasted for about 5 days (through Christmas) but thankfully she is better now with just a lingering cough.

It was 4:30 am on Christmas eve morning and my husband woke me up, "Jenny, it's snowing outside!" I jumped out of bed, and he shined the flash light out on the porch...


SNOW!!

I went up stairs and gently whispered to Carson, "Buddy, it's snowing outside. Come see!" He sleepily got up, came down stairs and looked out the window.

His eyes opened up wide "WHOA MOM IT'S SNOWING!" he said with a big smile on his face. 


I can still see the look of wonder on their sweet little faces. It's something I hope to remember all my life. 


Yep I went out there in my jammies to snap chat. Because, why not? haha



Poor Lily girl was super sick with a fever bad cough and all that not so fun stuff that  comes with it. But we couldn't tell her she couldn't experience her first snow! So we let her go out with us for about 10 minutes and bundled her up like Ralphie's brother in the Christmas Story.


I wish I was better at expressing in words how amazing it was. But it was such an awesome experience. 

Our first white Christmas. 

The entire ranch and mountains were covered in snow. 




It was so quiet. I've heard people say snow makes everything seem so still, so quiet. It's true. It was like being in the middle of a snow globe!



It also happened to be our dogs Bear and Lilo's first snow too.. One was happier than the other. Can you guess which one liked it and which one didn't? (warning, this may be tough one to answer)


Bear?


Or Lilo?


You most likely guessed it right... and let me tell you she LOVED it. She would have stayed out there all day if we had let her.




Carson taking a break from throwing snow balls at Grandma and Grandpa.


My snow angels.


Carson's favorite part was throwing snow balls at us.


This is the first year ever I didn't send out Christmas cards. I wanted too, but it just didn't happen. If I would send one now, this would be the pictures I'd use. No make up, bundled up, sick, sleep deprived but oh so very happy. Christmas eve on our Ranch with our first snow. 


Thank you Jesus!



This first year on our homestead has been harder than I imaged it would be.  We're stronger for it though and have bonded as a family more than ever. Waking up to a white Christmas eve, a warm fire, a sparkle in my kids eyes as they looked out in wonder and getting to take it all in with my best friend/hubby with a cup of coffee in hand. Priceless. We are so humbled and thankful for our Savior  who had this plan for us all along. God is good!



Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year, friends! Thank you for reading this, and for all our family and friends that have encouraged us and supported us on this journey. I plan to update more frequently  on here about our homestead, how it's growing and more about our home school journey as well. 

Have a blessed day,


Want to see more about our ranch, some more of my recipes and fitness journey? You can reach out to me by going to my Facebook page by clicking the picture below....




No comments:

Post a Comment