Thursday, September 8, 2016

Why we are Homeschooling and our First Day of School


We have officially gotten through our very first week of Homeschooling! With the 3 day weekend and our first class day with our co-op, we eased our way into this new routine and we've loved every minute of it.




I've been asked a lot WHY we are Homeschooling. 

I could give you a very long post on our reasons. But I'll save that for another blog post someday.

The short reason? This is what God has called us to do and we are going embrace this new season of life we are beginning.

Am I excited? Yes.

Am I nervous? Yes.

Do I trust the direction God is moving our life? With all my heart. He's known this was the plan all along. Thank you Jesus.


While we are in the building phase of our home, the cabin we are staying in on our land is home to us. It's small but fits us comfortably and we are very blessed to have this add on room that works as a office/workout room/class room. We've used up every inch of the space possible and we're happy with the the outcome.

Not everyone that homeschools has a "classroom" and there are a lot of different styles of homeschooling. Why we made a classroom? With the house building, country moving lifestyle changes and the fact we had space in this cabin to do it is why we made one. Having the room set up this way motivates Carson and I when we begin our school day, it's something we both enjoy. It has made beginning kindergarten exciting to him and he looks forward to coming in here everyday to learn. 


Prep... We have truly enjoyed getting familiar with our little local library here in our tiny town :) They've helped me order books in from other branches that will work well with our study units over the next few weeks. We go once a week. The kids get to play, and I get to explore! Double win.



Over the summer I spent a lot of time looking at SO many different types of curriculum. Then one day this awesome curriculum fell on my lap. Or should I say a wonderful friend of mine was selling her used curriculum from previous school years and this was it! Just another awesome move from God.


Caleb snapped this pic of me one night as I was working on the classroom prepping for our first week. I grumbled about it then, now a few weeks later I appreciate that he took this. I want to remember these early stages of this new journey we are on.

What do I hope to get out of our first year of Homeschooling?

Time. Time to be with my children as they learn, explore and grow stronger in their knowledge of the Lord. Time for more giggles, games, story times and snuggles.

I'm honored and humbled to get to do this with our kids. 

I'm also very thankful for my hard working Husband. He works away from us all day so that we can be here together. I'm also thankful for my coaching that allows me to work freely from home.


How we started out our first day of school. Tractor ride and skipping. It was beautiful weather too! So thankful that Fall weather is starting to say hello.


Some pictures from our school day. The first 10 days of this curriculum is called "Foundation: The Story of Creation." We started with Day 1 and read Genesis 1:1-5 in Carson's new Bible. 



At the end of the school day I asked Carson what he wanted to do now that he was done with his first day of school. His response? He wanted to go take care of the animals :) So that's what he did!



What did Lily do after our first day?

She decided the bedroom floor was a good place to fall asleep. Don't worry, I moved her to the bed :)



4 years in a blink. So proud of our sweet, silly, train track building boy. You are a blessing Carskey boy. 



This first day of homeschool has been a long time in the making. I wasn't sure if I was going to be cut out for this, to be the teacher I wanted him to have. Lots of prayer, encouragement from loved ones and other homeschool mamas and God's glorious grace got us to this point. I'm feeling incredibly thankful and blessed for this new season God has called on us, and honored to have this role in my kids lives. 

Is homeschooling for everyone? No. Is it what my family and I have been called to do? Yes. And we are going to savor it, thrive in it God willing and enjoy it. ❤️




This blog started out as a place to share my passion for health and fitness. Over the last year it has grown to a place where I also share our journey as new homesteaders and now as a new homeschool mom. Thank you for reading and stay tuned for lots more posts in the future. 







No comments:

Post a Comment